Follow Catalyst’s voyage at:
April 23, 2013
Dear Friends and Family,
So much for going straight through from Panama to Florida. We realized at the time we left that we might run out of wind and determined that we would make a stop at the Colombian island of Providencia about mid morning on Sunday after about 2 days at sea. It is actually owned by Colombia but off the coast of Nicaragua. We stopped here on our way to Panama about a year ago so we have not gone in to sight see this trip. It is a great anchorage to get in and out of and comfortable when here so have enjoyed our brief stay.
We left Panama on Friday morning and headed to a place about 30 miles east called Turtle Cay Marina. We stopped there to get fuel as our supplier in the San Blas was not around. We actually saved about $100 in fuel costs as the price in the San Blas is higher because of the effort it takes to get the large amounts of fuel there by launchas carrying 50 gallon barrels.
We were slightly delayed at the marina as we had to wait for the electricity to come back on. There had been a power pole hit by a car that morning in the closest town and they had to fix it. It still took awhile to pump 70 gallons of fuel into the tank and several jerry jugs which are 5 gallon tanks that we carry as extra fuel. We were there about 4 hours total. We should have enough fuel now, even if we end up motoring most of the way home, though we stopped in Providencia so that we didn’t have that happen.
We did wash sheets today as a treat to have clean sheets for the next week underway. It was a bit rougher coming here but we are expecting calmer seas, at least for the next few days. Winds should be in the 10 to 15 knot range until about Thursday night or Friday when they may reach 20. Seas should be 3 to 4 feet, building to 6 when the weather builds.
Still, the forecast is for good sailing and it may even turn to the south east once we get by Cuba which would be too perfect for words! Hopefully, a good sail will be worth the wait we have had for 2 1/2 days. We have had about 2 days underway and it was a good test for us. I have made some more easy things to heat up and we should be great for food. I don’t much like cooking underway.
With any luck, we will arrive at home some time next Tuesday, or possibly early on Wednesday. You can follow our progress by checking our position report on our log site.
For now, we will be taking turns sleeping and standing watch so life will take on a regular pattern of wake, sleep and eat. Home in a week!
Sue and Rob